1. Qualification for Foreign Exchange Students' Enrollment and Duration of Study
1) Foreign exchange students (hereinafter called "foreign students") who study at Kim Il Sung University include students (undergraduate students), post-graduate students (research students) and apprentice students.
2) A foreign undergraduate student is required to pass an entrance exam after he/she has received preliminary education in Korean language in the DPR Korea or in other countries.
The regular curriculum at Kim Il Sung University takes four and a half years and the university education is conducted in Korean language.
3) Post-graduate students are required to pass examinations to assess their command of Korean language and to evaluate their qualifications after they have finished the undergraduate course in the university with good grades.
They are divided into two types: research students for master's degrees and for doctoral degrees, which takes three years. In case of earlier defence and pass of their master's or doctoral dissertations, they can graduate ahead of schedule.
Students who want doctoral degrees should have a master's degree beforehand.
The curriculum for a research student with a doctor's degree is applied after respective deliberation.
4) Apprentice students are required to have a 3-year-long career in his/her professional field after they have finished a major education at a university of the DPR Korea or in his/her country or in other countries. Apprentice language students are excluded.
The apprenticeship takes up to two years, and only when they pass the exams to assess their command of Korean language, can they complete the whole curriculum.
2. Conditions and Procedures for Foreign Students' Admission to University
1) A foreign student is required to complete the Kim Il Sung University curriculum in corresponding courses.
2) Exchange students who come to Kim Il Sung University according to the agreements between governments or universities are not required to take entrance examinations, and the relevant institutions of the sending country will be responsible for their academic ability and quality.
3) The school age of a foreign student is limited as below;
Undergraduate students: up to 25
Post-graduate students (except for research students with doctor's degree): up to 40
Apprentice students: up to 45
4) A foreign student is required to pass the physical examination in a state hospital of his/her country before coming to the DPR Korea. A foreign student is asked to undergo a physical examination again after he/she arrives in the DPR Korea. If he/she does not pass, he/she has to go back to his/her country within fifteen days.
This clause does not apply to a foreign student who stays in the DPR Korea for less than three months.
5) A foreign student who is not included in any one of the following clauses is asked to be guaranteed the payment for study and life during their stay.
- A student who studies according to the financial clauses mentioned in the agreements between universities.
- A student who receives a scholarship from the government or other institutions of the DPR Korea.
- A student who receives a scholarship from the government or other institutions of his/her country.
- A student who receives a scholarship from UNESCO or other international organizations.
- A student who can afford school expenses and the charge for board and lodging by himself/herself.
6) The following applicants are received;
- Students who study according to the agreements between universities.
- Students who are recommended through the highest education organization of the DPR Korea by institutions or organizations of his/her country.
- Students who are recommended through the DPRK missions residing in their country to the highest education organization of the DPR Korea by institutions or organizations of his/her country.
7) The following documents are needed for enrollment application;
① For exchange students who stay according to the agreements between governments or universities
* A written application
* A physical examination certificate for a foreigner
* A recommendation of the dispatch organizations
* Academic career documents (a certificate of studentship, secondary school diploma, a college graduation diploma, a list of the student's records, a copy of degree document, etc.)
② For others
* A written application of admission for a foreign student
* A physical examination certificate for a foreigner
* A financial guarantee
* Academic career documents officially attested (a certificate of studentship, secondary school diploma, a college diploma, a list of the student's records, a copy of degree document etc.)
* A birth certificate and a confirmation of no offense officially attested
A foreign student is asked to write the application documents as required, and hand them in to the Education Commission through the DPR Korea missions residing in his/her country or his/her country missions in the DPR Korea by July15 each year. The foreign students who study according to the agreements between governments or universities are excluded.
3. Execution of Curriculum
The academic year of an undergraduate student starts from April 1 every year.
4. Study and Examination
A foreign student must attend lectures, discussions, experiments and practical training of all subjects in the curriculum of Kim Il Sung University, and sit terminal examinations, annual examinations and a graduation examination according to the university rules.
A student who has failed in an examination can stay-back in the class only once and the second failure will lead to being flunked out of the university.
In case an undergraduate student does not attend the lectures for more than one month of a semester because of illness or other reasons, he/she will be withdrawn temporarily.
The period of withdrawal will not be longer than one year and in case that a student receiving a scholarship is withdrawn, he/she cannot receive the scholarship during the withdrawal.
A foreign student who has passed a graduation examination will be given a university diploma and a failed undergraduate will receive a completion certificate of curriculum.
A foreign student who returns home halfway will be given a certificate of completion or a certificate of study according to the study period that briefly ascertains the contents of learning at the university.
5. Public Holidays
A foreign student will rest on public holidays of the DPR Korea.
6. Life Disciplines
A foreign student is required to voluntarily observe the laws and rules of the DPR Korea, disciplines and regulations of the university and to respect Korean customs and culture.
All activities of a foreign student have to be contributive to his/her study and to the improvement of friendship between the two countries, and he/she is not allowed to do anything that might damage the political, economic, military and foreign relations of the DPR Korea.
A foreign student is not allowed to do commercial transactions including exchange of hard currencies, dumping and bartering prohibited by the laws of the DPR Korea.
If a foreign student violates against the laws and rules of the DPR Korea and the disciplines and regulations of the university and dormitory, damages national and personal property and commits immorality, he/she will be given a warning or be forced to leave the university with financial charges, and according to the gravity of the situation he/she will be referred to the judicial organs of the DPR Korea. When the foreign student with the penalty of warning corrects his/her misbehavior within one year, his penalty will be nullified; if not, he/she will be expelled from the university.
A foreign student studying at Kim Il Sung University is required to live in the foreign students' dormitory. The dormitory does not provide conditions for cohabitation.